Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 1997 20:39:59 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
My dear fellow netters,

I've had such a wild 7 months with my daughter's senior year in high school - prom, graduation, my mother's cancer surgery, heart surgery and a nasty fall down her back steps, my sister and her 7 children here from Hungary on furlough from the mission field, my son's wedding, and my job at the hospital, my private clients at home,  and my husband, and helping organize my church mission trip to Mexico...

I haven't even checked my email in a long time!!!  I did not have time to even log on and ask how to go no mail.  Since I've started checking my mail, I've gotten messages about no mail.  I've MISSED YOU ALL!!!!

Ok - down to my question.
Our hospital has recently ( per request of our chief of pediatrics) declared that premies under 1500 grams will receive only breastmilk that has been frozen for 3 days (if mom has chosen to breastfeed).  Reason... about 4 of our premies developed clinical symptoms of CMV and the pumped milk was also positive for CMV.  Our chief felt that due to the very immature immune system, our smallest babies perhaps cannot tolerate the CMV being passed through the milk.  He has requested (and rightfully so) that I ask my enlightened friends on the net if anyone knows of research articles regarding  specifically premies and CMV in breastmilk.

You may respond privately if you wish to
[log in to unmask]

I appreciate you all so much, and I can't wait to put names with faces at ILCA next month - I'm so excited!!

Dani Hudspeth BSN, RN, IBCLC
Baylor Univ. Med. Center
Dallas, TX

ATOM RSS1 RSS2