Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 08:20:03 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Perhaps 5 years I was asked (told) by one of the largest Boston-area birthing hospitals to stop teaching expectant parents that powdered formula is not a sterile product & should be avoided for all newborns. They claimed I was scaring parents into paying a little bit more for ready to feed or concentrated infant formula when powder was cheaper, or when powder was what was provided by WIC.

I felt vindicated this October when the American Academy of Pediatrics published a study on the topic with an official recommendation to avoid powdered infant formula for all babies under 2 months. See:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2012/10/02/peds.2011-3855.abstract?papetoc

Prevention of Invasive Cronobacter Infections in Young Infants Fed Powdered Infant Formulas  

Just because the AAP prints it doesn’t mean most pediatricians *know it*, but at least now I/we have a credible reference to point to when we’re asked to back up our statement, that deals with healthy, term infants in the community.

CONCLUSIONS: Cronobacter can infect healthy, term (not just hospitalized preterm) young infants. Invasive Cronobacter infection is extremely unusual in infants not fed PIF/HMF. RTFs are commercially sterile, require minimal preparation, and are competitively priced. The exclusive use of BM and/or RTF for infants <2 months old should be encouraged.

Nancy

Nancy Holtzman, RN IBCLC CPN

VP Clinical Content & eLearning

Isis. Parenting Starts Here.

@nancyholtzman

[log in to unmask]

www.isisparenting.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2