Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Aug 2002 10:09:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
This fascinates me to no end!

I have a 6 yo and a 23 month old. I read, somewhere during one of my marathon computer sessions 6 years ago, about DHA and it's importance so I started beefing up on my salmon and tuna intake during the 3rd trimester of my first pregnancy (I always eat dark green salads too).

With my second pregnancy, I took a vegetarian form of DHA supplement the entire 3rd trimester and then post partum for the first year I breastfed my son (still nursing him). I STILL take DHA every now and then. What I noticed-if I forgot to take my DHA supplement for a week, I would have difficulty remembering simple things like where were the keys, did I call so and so, memory problems that plaque many many post partum women. When I would start taking the DHA every day again, I noticed a massive improvement in my ability to concentrate, remember things, general clarity to my thoughts. I know this was not all in my head either, other people noticed, like my husband.

Our 23 month old son-he has been talking in complete sentences since 20 months, reciting the ABC's since 19 months, has potty trained himself (I kid you not-he urinates in his kiddy toilet) and is about as smart as we have ever seen in a child so young. Our 6 yo daughter-was reading chapter books (little women, black beauty) by herself at age 5, started reading simple books well at age 4 1/2, in fact she read at her preschool during story time! I am NOT trying to toot my kids horns here, I really believe there is something, I don't know what, to this DHA. I am def. no genius, I struggle with school and I have to study my butt off to get my grades (I was formula fed!). I believe very strongly in the brain power of breastfeeding and the influence of DHA in breastmilk.

On a side note, I encourage all my pals, when they ask about the kids and how we did it, to take the DHA supplement and to eat foods rich in it. I have also recently told a neighbor, when she asked me about abm with dha added, that I would never give it to my kids (well I wouldn't formula feed anyway) because although I took DHA, my body is the one who got the direct supplement and then it can break it down and convert it to a useable substance. I told her I would not trust anything the formula companies say anyway and that DHA is only proven at this time (I might be wrong here) to be good when it's through breastfeeding, not given to children as a supplement. So, I am trying now to convince her to breastfeed at least 6 months (her goal is 6 weeks, arrrrrrrrrrr) and then go from there (baby steps).

Does anyone know of solid research on DHA supplements taken during pregnancy or breastfeeding? I am now in a research class for graduate school and I am going to focus my entire semester on breastfeeding related research.

Sorry so long, I am just so glad this is coming around now and that I might have been on to something 6 years ago (and still to this day). If anyone wants to use me for research on this, please please contact me as I would love to be a part of it! (no joke, I feel strongly about this)

Heather Davis, RN
in beautiful South Carolina

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2