Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Apr 2011 21:40:30 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (12 lines)
Jessica that is sooooo! over kill. I suspect it is at least partially due to their  attempt to increase revenue through NICU admissions and being able to bill for this. I read an interesting article recently, I will have to dig it up, that spoke to that trend increasing, especially at larger hospitals. I work at a Military hospital, so although we have "numbers" we must contend with, we do not have so much the push to generate more income through more billable services. Although there is the pressure of a teaching hospital,  sometimes unecessary procedures so that students can "learn". Boy that would at least  double our NICU population, we have a lot of diabetics. Best of luck to you,  Hang in there, I also feel like we are going backwards not forwards, but it is one mom and one baby at a time. If we educate them, they will tell their friends and that is how knowledge spreads and becomes action. How do the Neonatologists feel about this? Also I would contact Nancy Wight off list if you can and gain her perspective about first feeds and hypoglycemia and the research, so you can present your hospital with this research.  You could also show them the Kangaroo Mother Care research on mother and baby separation causing 10 X increase in baby cortisol levels, and of course that is a no brainer, may temporarily increase blood glucose, but then drop it hours later, when the dex protocol is of course no longer in effect. Lisa Mooney 		 	   		  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2