Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 2002 01:45:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
This post has been inspired by a heated discussion with a famous Russian "feminist" on her discussion board.  I am sorry I can't give you a link, it is all in Russian, but some of the things she claims are disturbing and not feminist at all.  The part that I got very interested in as a LLL leader was the following.  The "feminist" claims that if you co-sleep with your child and breastfeed past the first year, you are a latent pedophile, who satisfies your own needs by using a child.  She goes on about tactile needs being satisfies by a child not a man and on and on and on.  She keeps mentioning some psychoanalysis (Freud, Young, etc) of breastfeeding and Oedipus complex (http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/g2699/0002/2699000243/p1/article.jhtml and http://www.vuw.ac.nz/psyc/vornikFreud/oedip.htm for those interested) and damage co-sleepers and long-term nurses do to a child, especially, a boy.  If you do the same thing to a gird you become a lesbo-pedophile.  At first I found her claims hilarious, but after researching lactnet and reading post on sexuality and breasts I got concerned that it may be hard to argue with someone in real life in a position of authority, who just may claim exactly the same things.  Among the other ridiculous claims is "if you don't experience orgasms while breastfeeding, there is something wrong with you, go seek help".  Obviously, the woman almost didn't breastfeed, let alone for an extended period of time.  I must also say that a lot of her, if no all, claims revolve around sex and men.  She was raped several times, was married about 4-5 and is very anti - lazy parasite cow-like latent pedophiles (read stay-at-home nursing mothers who happen to co-sleep with their children or any of the combinations of the above).  

"Abuse is about using people, not loving them. What our bodies physically
feel is largely irrelevant. Or else every man/woman who gets aroused by a
person not his/her legal partner is a rapist or a pervert or ... It is
actions that matter, not feelings over which we may not have full conscious
control." says Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>  Fri, 15 Nov 1996 11:19:17 +1100

In the light of all this, can someone share any wise thoughts on the subject.  It seems to me that the gray areas of love vs. abuse are so hard to define and prove to someone, who ultimately views nursing past 1-year and co-sleeping in such a way.  What someone views as indication of love, the other one may ultimately perceive as a sign of abuse.  What is the current status of psychoanalysis and breastfeeding/co-sleeping?  Has it changed in the last 10-25 years?  

Thank you,
Natalie Wilson 
LLL on NC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2