Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:49:20 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Here is my response to the thinly veiled formula recipe in Baby Talk:

I am writing because I am absolutely appalled at the irresponsible, biased, inaccurate, and therefore completely inappropriate article on breastfeeding currently on your website (the book excerpt).  I am an IBCLC, a LLL leader, and a nursing mother.  I find it absolutely incomprehensible that you could possibly feel that you are doing your readers anything but a serious disservice by writing such a piece.  I was amazed that your writers felt able to give unresearched and unsubstantiated medical advice, disregard all of the research in the professional lactation world, and set who knows how many of your readers up for heartache and disappointment when they take such "bunk" seriously and end up HAVING to supplement and perhaps even give up breastfeeding.  Women who follow such poor advice show up in our clinics and offices on a DAILY basis, horrified and upset that what they were told to do has sabotaged their breastfeeding relationship with their babies.  Do your many formula ads pay so well that you feel obligated to write articles that will create more business for these companies? Seems to me that there is a HUGE conflict of interest for a company advertising formula to write about breastfeeding, but perhaps articles such as this one serve a purpose: to make it clear that your interests are with your advertisers and NOT with the health and welfare of your readers or, even sadder, their babies.

Esther Friedman, IBCLC, RLC, LLLL, Mom 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2