Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 09:22:52 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
It has been with great interest I have been reading the mail on depression and the lactation consultant.

I was asked to visit a new mother with twins, her midwife felt that she was almost their with feeding, but felt further support & advice were needed, which she felt she could not give. As soon as the woman opened the door I recognised the disrary, fast irrational talking etc. This woman had no problems with her breastfeeding, she was deeply depressed and traumatised from a difficult birth. I stayed with her until family & GP arrived and with emotional support from a home visiting psychiatric nurse & antidepressants she made a fantastic recovery. I also arranged for her to debrief about her delivery. She fed the boys for 16 months and last year had another baby. She has been & is a fantastic supporter/helper at a local breastfeeding support group.

I have always been interested in the diagnosis of depression and feeding problems. The above case illustrates how difficult it can be to see beyond "I have a feeding problem" statement by the mother. A fresh pair of ears & eyes can often help.

Christine Wood
Bonn but formely UK

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2