Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:17:24 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
First I want to thank to all of you who wrote on the list and privately with suggestions and ideas on how to help the mom manage bf after their far from optimal start.

Mom called me again today with very good news. Both babies are advancing fast with their ability to suck efectively and even the smaller one is sucking with gulping now - I could even hear them on the phone, as she talked while feeding them.

Her breasts are feeling better and she is now trying to nurse them every 2 hours instead of the 3-hour intervals she did before.

Since yesterday she is doing regular pumping after each breastfeed, 20 min on each breast and is getting between 10 and 25 ml (from both breasts combined) after the babies which she offers alternately to one of the twins at the next feeding. As Karen suggested, we talked about using the pump with one baby on the breast to shorten duration of feedings - she found it a great idea and she will try that in the moments when one baby wakes earlier than the other. 

She is supplementing 8x24 as per doctor's order (the same skilled and very bf-friendly neonatologist we are working with is seeing the babies) and mom prepares 30 ml. But she states the babies never eat all of it, mostly they take 10 to 20 ml. She is very well instructed on how to pace feedings and note when they are done with the feed so she never forces them to eat it all. Diapers look great - 8 yellow poops for each baby for the past 24 hours.

I think it is all moving in the right direction with your help and with this mom's determination - I really hope next week I can update they are off the supplement and nursing happily on the breast only!

Christina in Bulgaria
BF Peer Counsellor

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2