Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:18:59 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Helppppppppppppp!  I just saw a Mom with a three week old baby who has only gained back 4 ounces over his birth weight. Latch looks good. baby not tongue tied. projects tongue forward when lips stroked. Moms only complaint was 'deep breast pain'. No sign or symptoms of thrush. Mother experiences just a little discomfort when baby first latchs, but when he comes off her nipples look like they have been in a vice. I tried getting a better latch with his mout wide open but no matter what her nipples are taking a beating. She is not using a pacifier but has been pumping and giving him a bottle when the pain is really bad. She is going to work on latch and do some finger training to get his mouth to open wide and is going to not use a bottle and will see me again on friday 09/19. What am I missing? Also suggested massaging jaw to make sure he is relaxed. Baby has lots of yellow stools but only about 4 urines q24h but mom has not kept track, she will now fill out an i&o sheet before next visit. This mom seems very committed , has a Medela Pump and Style and a good milk supply. I am really not sure what else to do. Thanks in advance for all you suggestions. PS has a normal palate.

Lois Mathews R.N. IBCLC
St. Marys Medical Center
WPB FL.
Improving life one breastfed baby at a time.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2