Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2014 23:30:50 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (57 lines)
This discussion is very interesting to me as it seems to be a concern that predominantly from the US. I was wondering if Lactnetters outside of the US might share what happens in their contexts. Australia, NZ, Canada, UK, Spain, Norway etc etc? Are drugs routinely tested for? Are mothers positive for THC encouraged not to breastfeed? I don't work within the hospital system in Australia but I can't imagine that women would be routinely tested for THC nor that any who were positive would be discouraged from breastfeeding (since rates of marijuana use are very high). But perhaps my impressions are incorrect. 
Karleen Gribble
Australia 

On 20/05/2014, at 8:13 AM, Arly Helm wrote:

> Dear Christine: Please try to convince your team to agree that she shouldn't be using enough of any recreational drug to cause a difference in mentation. Your team may agree that she shouldn't be breastfeeding, but I do not. I believe she shouldn't be smoking marijuana, if the levels are high enough to indicate she was getting "high." Pumping and dumping seems extremely excessive; I don't believe a mother would take enough on Day 0 to still be "high" 10 or 14 days later. We aren't aiming for a maternal body that has never been exposed to herbs, drugs, medicines, pesticides, herbicides, dust, exhaust fumes, nail salon fumes, the smells of the sewer vent in downtown urban areas, off-gassing of new carpets and paint, etc. We are just trying to find a recommended margin of safety. It doesn't make any sense, health-wise, to deny an infant breastmilk at low levels of THC exposure, or for a high exposure, for the first "offense."  I think when we overreact, our advice loses value, and has less impact on the recipient mother. Some of our mothers that test positive for THC have a more chaotic life, and/or are younger--two variables in which breastfeeding can make a profound difference in the arc of the child's life, and of the mother's life as well.
> 
> I, too, am interested to hear other's current policies and the references used to support them.
> 
> Arly Helm, MS, IBCLC 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Christine A Raasch
> Sent: Monday, May 19, 2014 12:53 PM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Marijuana and Breastfeeding
> 
> Hi, I looked at the responses to the question of marijuana and breastfeeding from last year and wrote to some of the posters for additional information. I have been on a committee looking at how we are going to proceed when mother and/or baby have a positive UDS. We all agree she shouldn't be breastfeeding based on the available literature but we also agree that even if she doesn't breastfeed while inpatient, there is nothing stopping her from breastfeeding after discharge. We have been instructing mothers to pump and dump for 10 - 14 days, obtain a UDS and if negative can breastfeed but can't find the reference to support this recommendation. We also suspect there is litte compliance.
> Most mothers, when told that the medication they are on is contraindicated, will either try to find an alternative medication or not breastfeed. Marijuana is a totally different drug re how mother's respond to being told that it is contraindicated. I checked with our social worker and positive UDS results are referred to the Bureau of Child Welfare.
> I'd like to hear from you re: 
> 1. what your policy is and share it if you can 2. if you instruct mothers to pump and dump, how long and what is the reference that this recommendation is based on 3. what has been your success rate in mothers complying with abstaining and then obtaining a UDS or breastfeeding successfully after.
> Thank you so much for your time.
> Christine, RN, BSN, IBCLC
> Milwaukee, WI
> 
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome
> 
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2