Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 16:18:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (60 lines)
Sharon,

That is interesting that you should mention breastmilk as a curative.  I helped an ederly women here in Florida who had colon cancer.  Her son read an article in Discover Mag. about breastmilk and cancer, so she started drinking it.  Last thing I heard, Her Doctor stated that her tests results were no longer showing colon cancer.  I need to contact her again and see how she is doing.

Melissa Wolfersberger
~CLE,LLL,LD,CPD
~CAPPA SE Regional Rep
~www.mothersupport.net
"Support for the Art of Mothering"

Sharon Knorr <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>From one of my horse journals.....
>
>Case history of a six-year old horse with continued bouts of colic/inflammatory bowel disease.  Very sick with constant bloating and colic (stomach ache, which can be fatal in horses).  Put on high doses of steroids which helped, but didn't cure.  Eventually successfully treated with reduction of stress, diet changes, essential fatty acids, Chinese adaptogenic herbs and, most importantly they felt ........ colostrum.  He was able to go completely off the steroids and is now maintaining on colostrum and a carefully managed diet.  A sidebar lists the reasons why the colostrum (bovine, and they added Lactaid) probably works so well, including the inactivation of pathogenic organisms trying to bind to the intestinal wall and stimulation of the immune system.  The horse gets sick if he does not get enough colostrum.
>
>Several people have posted to Lactnet wondering if they should use human milk to treat bowel disease in themselves and their loved ones.  I would encourage anyone out there to give it a try and to document the effects so that we can begin to get some evidence-based information on this topic.  I know that the health food stores are pushing the use of the bovine colostrum for these types of problems and that companies are trying to isolate various parts of milk so that they can be marketed individually to treat disease.  But it would seem to me that living human milk would be the very best treatment of all for human disease.  A real study needs to be done in this area.  Having known a few people with these conditions, I know how painful and debilitating they can be for an entire lifetime.
>Warmly,
>Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
>Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
>mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
>             ***********************************************
>
>To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
>To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
>To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
>All commands go to [log in to unmask]
>
>The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
>LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
>mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
>http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html
>

--

Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Mail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2