Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 15:00:58 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
permission to post -

Mom and babe did not have successful latch in hospital, tongue tie, etc.  Send home and told to supplement.  She went to a few support group meetings and was told to use Domperidone at a low dose and to pump.  She started out pumping 3-4x daily.  No success.  She quit trying at about 3 weeks postpartum and fed only formula for two days.  (She kept taking the dom).  

She called me and I've seen her over the course of the last 3 weeks.  I encouraged her to pump at least 8x daily, and to try and squeeze in a few more if she could.  She is getting baby to breast well now, without pain, and baby would transfer an ounce.  She only breastfeeds a few times a day however, the rest of the time she is pumping and someone gives the kiddo a bottle.  Baby is getting fed additional formula after every breastfeeding and is gaining about 9 - 10 ounces per week.  The kiddo looks great, sticks his tongue out, cups it well, maintains suction well, etc.

Her doctor recommended she up the Dom to the maximum dose.  She started that day and has now been on the max for 3 weeks.  

I saw mom today and baby transferred 2 ounces from the breast.  However, mom says she is only getting 1-2 ounces every time she pumps.  Her supply does not appear to be increasing.  Her goal is to just breastfeed and supplement when needed.  She desperately wants to stop pumping so much.  She has been on dom for almost 5 weeks. 

What are we missing?  
Thanks in advance for your help!

Kristi R. Conroy, BA, IBCLC, RLC
LATCH Lactation Support
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant 

American Heart Association BLS Instructor
Certified Car Seat Technician
www.facebook.com/breastfeeding303

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2