Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 13:13:12 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (13 lines)
Before I was a LC and just a breastfeeding mom of 4, I met a mom with FTT with her sixth boy.  Both mom and dad were over 6 ft. tall and all her other babies were big and breastfed.  What my friend and I finally figured out for babies #6, 7, 8, 9, (because we became fast friends - everyone who had over 2 kids back then was not environmentally friendly) was that for some reason her body or the babies didn't kick in for after six weeks.  She had been breastfeeding frequently every hour or two (she knew how) and these babies still needed supplements, got hospitalized, ect. As soon as she put them on a strict 3 hour schedule ( to give her body and breasts time to refill- her evaluation) babies grew like the first five and she was able to stop supplementing (she never pumped). Now this was 20 years ago, and I was a LLLL who was trained by a mom in Chicago that was a full time night nurse that was on baby #11 who bottlefed the first 6 and breastfed the last ones (because it was so much easier). She had been told that she wouldn't be able to nurse as her breasts were probably too old.  She had taught me a bunch about big families and so in counseling my friend, I always used her as an example, and still do.   My point is, breastfeeding is still an art.  (God did the science, and I believe it really should work - most of the time)   Karen  (yes, I know there are zebras in the field of horses) 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2