Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Jun 2011 08:36:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
An update from my mother with the "stubborn yeast".  I do have her permission to post.  Think I forgot to mention that in my last posting.  I, too, was thinking that this is actually bacterial and was either undertreated or treated with a non specific antibiotic.  I mentioned a culture to her.
Laurie Joanow in glorious Western PA (75 degrees, sunny and breezy)

Good information.  The antibiotic I was on was Clindamycin (300 mg tabs, three times a day, seven days).

He has only nursed once in the last 24 hours on my inflicted side.  Which is quite a stride from three days ago.  When the yeast first set in it became so incredibly painful to nurse that I literally was in tears.  Midwife took my symptoms by phone and prescribed the Diflucan.  Due to the pain, I was limiting his sessions on that side.  

I didn't experience complete relief from the yeast (the three day supply of Diflucan was gone before I even felt more "comfortable" ....never completely better).  Then about a week later the pain changed and I developed an open sore on my areola.  It was at that point (coupled with my complaint of extreme exhaustion ...which I now attribute to my pregnancy) that I saw midwife who was able to pin point the "hot spot" on my breast and prescribed the antibiotic.  

Her opinion was that I likely developed an abcess as a result of the continuation of lactation but sudden limitation in nursing.  More or less, "the system backed up."   Honestly, I worry that if her theory is correct, I could be in for another round of the same thing if I don't dry up that breast quickly.

Have you any insight there?  I snooped about the web, but wasn't able to find specific information regarding this potential cause of an abscess.

Also, can you tell me (or inquire for me), once this bout is rendered corrected, will nursing with the new baby leave me more susceptible to more of the same.  I realize we have a good 8 months to get this under control.  Yet, I can't pretend that I am not concerned.  (this from a mom who has successfully nursed three babes to this point without any problems (of this nature)...I just want the same for our newest addition.

I am feeling much better (in terms of breast comfort).  Although, I can still feel that, what we believe to be yeast, is there.  Other symptoms, which I was attributing to mastitis (i.e. light headedness, nausia, etc...) I now believe are due to the pregnancy and are, honestly, standard protocol for me.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2