Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 12:04:03 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
 Just found it!!!!! Self Selection of diet of newly weaned infants: An experimental study, Clara Davis  1928!!!!!
she wrote 2 other articles Studies in the self-selection of diet by young children in 1934 and 1939.  IN 1987 Clara Davis Revisited  points out " that the food choices provided were nutritious, unprocessed and unsweetened."  and  in 1986 Story and Brown wrote "Do young children instinctively know what to eat?  The studies of Clara Davis revisited"   Conclusion; Davis noted that the primary conclusions arising from her research were that  (1) young children should be offered only foods that have the highest nutritional values, and (2) young children's appetites are a reliable guide to the amount of food that should be consumed."  She warned that the misuse of the term self selection implied that control of the diet was out of the parent's hands.

Isn't the CBI RL nifty, now all I need is funds to get copyright privileges for our almost 32,000 articles and resources.

Personally. watching parents in different settings, I see toddlers offered plates piled high and child eats a bit or even not at all.  Portions for children need to be about 1 Tablespoon per year of age so plate doesn't over whelm a small child!  IMHO, LOL  I also think the note about what children were offered in 1928 is significant compared to today's jars and I hate those tubes of food, even if convenient.

I'm allowed to be opinionated - I'm old, LOL  Pat in SNJ, LLLL for 50 years now, IBCLC for 32, APN for 23
Mom for 58!  Oldest child's birthday this week - she is catching up to me.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2