Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 2008 08:57:01 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
Mary speaks of a "cold, lonely" infant, never being touched and plugged into all sorts of 
machines in the NICU.  The picture she paints is grim and unpleasant.
While I certainly agree that no one wants to have a baby so early or sick enough to need 
a NICU, let me assure you of a number of things. 
Those of us who must use it, are forever grateful to have a specialized facility in which 
our babies can grow.  My own baby was born at 25 weeks.  There was nothing I could 
have done that I didn't do to prevent his early birth.  I do not believe he was ever cold, 
and I doubt that he was lonely.  He was touched regularly with kindness, both by his 
parents and NICU staff.  He received only two medications, that I remember, while he 
was there, and they were discontinued as soon as possible.  He was "plugged into" very 
little, although he was monitored closely with small sensors.   The ng tube was in place 
so that he could get breastmilk before he could get nourishment with a regular suck-
swallow-breathe pattern, and I was grateful for it, and the fact that he didn't need to use 
a bottle (ever). 
In addition, we continue to be in touch with some doctors, nurses, and other staff 
members 22 years later.  The pictures that were taken of him were used in several 
countries to teach others about breastfeeding preterm babies.  And because of his early 
birth and lengthy hospitalization (3 months) I started a (now) almost 20-year journey into 
a new profession. 
This is not a flame, just an attempt to educate the public on what I believe to be a 
misperception.
By the way-Peter is 22, a recent college graduate (in philosophy) with minor problems 
due to prematurity, and one of the kindest, gentlest kids I know.  I thank God every day 
for the NICU and the doctors, nurses, and other staff in it, and for Nancy Wight and all 
the other doctors fighting to save our most fragile babies, and the fact that my son was 
there.
With regards to you all
Ellen Kadden MA, IBCLC
Stamford Hospital
Stamford CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2