Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2011 15:11:57 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Hi Larisa,

Ummm, it's not just WIC participants...it seems like a lot of moms now are thinking The Pump is a necessary tool to breastfeed successfully, for a myriad of reasons.  I'm like you, I am discouraging pumping if there is engorgement.  I teach the same "tools" you suggest for minimizing engorgement.  I teach in my breastfeeding class ways to avoid engorgement (early and often feeding, etc. etc. etc.).  I explain to moms that a pump can be damaging.  I strongly suggest to moms that they get breastfeeding going really well without any "tools" first before introducing a breastpump.  I tell them that things will be easier in the long run if we keep breastfeeding as normal as possible from the beginning, ie: no bottles, no supplements, no nipple shields, no breastpumps, etc.  Most mothers seem to understand this...until 2am when baby is fussy and they're convinced their baby is starving...but that's another post.. ;-)

Kathleen Salisbury, IBCLC, RLC....one of the few non-RN, hospital-based IBCLCs....and I'm required to be BLS certified for my job BTW... ;-)

Auburn Regional Medical Center

Auburn, WA State, USA

-----Original Message-----

Subject: Pump usage in engorgement

Hello, ladies and gents.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one reluctant to recommend an electric pump if a mother is engorged, especially if it is severe. I feel that using an electric pump in this case might make things worse because the engorged tissue is more fragile and if she has 3d spacing, the edema might worsen through the use of an electric pump. 

I tend to prefer cold compresses, hand-expression, reverse pressure softening and improving the latch. What do you usually do? Thanks.

Larisa Walk, RD, IBCLC who thinks that our WIC participants are entirely too reliant on electric breast pumps - they seem to believe it'll miraculously solve all their breastfeeding problems.

UHS Confidentiality Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this information is prohibited.  If this was sent to you in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2