Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 17:16:41 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I am one who indeed would love to have prolactin surging again - really getting very short tempered and touchy of late - probably my whole family would love it too. 

But I have found that I became a more ardent lactation advocate after my personal lactation experiences were over. I think it was because I was not driving on emotion, but became more technical/research oriented - and of course I also had more time!

I tell the moms I work with the above and I think it helps some of them to realize that I wasn't this ardent when I was a breastfeeding mom, however, I do tell them that I encourage them to advocate for their child. It took me 4 children and many disappointing interactions with their HCPs before I really began advocating for them and getting some positive action on their behalf. 

I think it's a shame that as patients, we must at times fight or fight back to get optimal medical care. Worse, I find it a shame that sometimes we feel the need to have to bring medical literature and research to defend how/why we breastfeed and or accept or refuse a treatment. 

Oh no . . . I've climbed up on that soapbox again - must be a prolactin surge!!

Leslie Ward
Fort Hood, TX

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2