Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2010 06:28:06 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
This may be an unusual juxtaposition of topics, but my response to both is: 
How does the MOTHER feel?

If the lips are not totally flanged OR the mom is not in what I would consider a 'comfortable position' - my FIRST questions are: How do YOU feel?  What would you want to do/try to change anything to be more comfortable?  (Yes, I'm a "Three step counseling" trainer - open ended questions)

I DO worry about lips that are so inverted IN that the juncture of the lip skin and the face skin is rubbing the areola/breast tissue - as I HAVE seen this areas almost appear to "cut" the tissue when against it for feedings.  

One problem we have with body positioning is that all the pictures show mothers sitting straight up - so the mother ENVISIONS herself in that position - and it's at times hard to have her accept any OTHER position.  Just as we encourage hospitals to show lots of babies skin to skin against mommy instead of "burrito babies" in bassinettes throughout their floor and waiting rooms, we need more of the "laid back" (at whatever angle the mom WANTS to use) pictures around - in books, magazines, videos and posters.  

Jeanette Panchula
California, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2