Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 06:35:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Hello to all.  I have a question for you.  One of my birth clients had twins at 33wks 2days gestation, 10 days ago.  The smallest of the two, a boy weighing 4lbs 1oz, was diagnosed on Friday with NEC.  Yesterday, surgery was done and an ileostomy was placed.

I am trying to figure out how to help Mom maintain breastfeeding, and stay insistent on breastfeeding as the food for her precious boy.  One of her comments was the following:

"J will get some feedings, but they already know that the breastmilk will not be enough because the food will not be able to process fully due to the iliostomy he has (a drainage tube from the end of the small intestine that they have coming outside his body)."

She has a wonderful lactation community at the hospital where she is, so I feel sure she is getting adequate help, but then, one never knows.  And I guess I want to understand as much for myself as for her.  What nutrition does a baby with this condition need?   If breastmilk is not enough, what is?  Do you have any resources you can point me to where I can learn more about the feeding end of this disease rather than just the anatomical side?

Thanks,

Jennifer B. Davis, ICCE-CD, CD(DONA)
BirthBasics Doula Partners, Inc.
www.birthbasics.com

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2