Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2011 09:17:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Normal infant behaviour.

Infant sleep patterns change frequently. Waking every 2-3 hours is well within normal and it is also normal for babies who were previously sleeping for long stretches to return to a more typical pattern of 2-3 hours. 

Tania Archbold BSc IBCLC 
Www.mothersnectar.ca
Ontario Canada 

On 2011-06-26, at 8:31, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>     I am a long time reader who posts very infrequently. I work in a small community hospital doing both inpatient and outpatient visits. I have been working with on emom in particular for several weeks and am in need of advise. I have permission to post.
> 
>    Mom is a g1 p1, delivered on 03/19/2011 term male born at 6# 1oz. At one week weight check baby was 7# 8oz. on 6/3, her family practice doctor expressed concern that baby was only in the 25th percentile and suggested formula with baby weighing 10# 8oz. Mom had already taken the baby to a chiropracter and a CST for fussiness and some pain with latching. The CST who has done some breastfeeding counselor training thought the baby might have had a posterior tongue tie and referred the mother to us. I saw the couplet in the office and observed a an active, alert, interactive boy nurse well and gain 3 oz with that feed. Mom noted that he had been feeding frequently. I could not rule out the PTT and suggested that she disciss this with an ENT. We talked about block feeding and she was to keep her follow up appointment with the family practicwe MD in about 2 weeks. She called me then with a baby weight of 11# 8 oz. She felt that she was doing better.
> 
>    Recently she called with complaints of a baby that was waking frequently at night and sleeping all day. She called the MD who again recommended formula. She also put the baby on Zantac for recurrance of fussiness. Mom reached me 3 days later. She had not been using any formula as she felt that her supply was more than adequate. She felt that the Zantac helped slightly but was feeling quite frustrated. The baby had for weeks been sleeping 10 hours at night and was now waking every 2-3 hours. She had seen an ENT who ruled out the PTT. We discussed growth spurts, safe co-bedding to which she expressed no desire to do as she herself is an insomniac and takes meds to help her sleep. She denied any recent diet changes or changes to routine. She stated that she did not take him out often r/t fussiness.He stools every other day, a yellow/orange stool. We discussed possible ear infection to which she stated that the MD had looked in baby's ears and denied any signs of infection. We discussed elevating the head of the bed but she was doing that already. Baby does have some swollen gums and we talked daytime comfort measures. 
> 
>   Any other ideas?
> 
> 
> Thank you,
> 
> Allyson Michaels, RN, IBCLC
> Charlottesville, VA
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2