Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2005 14:37:50 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
I have found the discussion concerning volunteer verses free donation of human milk quite interesting.  As a recent donor myself, I was honored to help so many, yet was a bit surprised that the cost of donating was/is expected by many to be the donor's alone.  Let me be clear, I NEEDED to pump and donate, as this was an intregal part of my grief process.  I was also thrilled to be at the service of so many in need.  I would do it all again and pay for it all again without a second thought.  However, I wonder if those without this experience truly appreciate the time and financial investment in a full-time donor.

Whether the donor rents or purchases a hospital-grade pump, this alone is a significant investment.  The tubing is another, which most use only while away from their baby.  A full-time donor uses their equipment 24/7, eight to twelve times each day.  This wears the equipment down very quickly, including the pump (I went through two pumps in nine months, then ended up loosing my supply as their effectiveness diminished).  Numerous bottles are needed and/or storage bags, which are not cheap if you purchase the bags most unlikely to pop open and spill all your hard-earned milk.  Then of course, pumping all day long, requires constant planning ahead for storing your milk (and an enormous deep freezer).  Coolers are needed that will be adequate, along with appropriate clothing and nursing bras.  All of these things are expensive and none were reimbursed.  

As I've shared before, the recipients were scrambling for money simply to pay for shipping costs.  Many called upon their church or organized fund raisers to cover these costs.  There are advocates of breastmilk that have also donated money to some of the families I donated to for shipping costs and I thank them immensely.  During my nine months of donating, I think I sent about a third of my milk to adults with disabling diseases, even terminal cancer.  They simply didn't have the resources or time to be creative in raising money to cover shipping costs.  Some begged, which is heart-breaking knowing these people were either dying or desperately seeking God's perfect milk for their precious child.   

My expense was an honor, but it was real.  The reality is, if I weren't married to an amazing husband that was willing to purchase pumps, equipment, storage bags at 2 am because I didn't realize we were out, or wash and sterilize my bottles repeatedly everyday, I could not have offered the milk my recipients desperately needed.  Honestly, he probably realized this was cheaper than psychiatric counseling!  

There are many sides to this issue that do need explored and how wonderful to know this is even an "issue" in our modern world!  For the time being, it would be most helpful to have a pool of donated funds available for families and donors to pay for actual costs - payment for service can be addressed once these needs are met.

Respectfully, Penny Lane

Penny Lane RN, IBCLC
Maternal & Child Health: Lactation Consulting
Believe - Birth & Breastfeeding Resources

---------------------------------
Yahoo! for Good
 Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort. 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2