Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2007 11:58:52 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Hello all,
I need to find some information quickly for a request and am hoping someone might already know of some professional journal resources.  A mother with a 7 month old who is still breastfeeding is in the middle of a very difficult divorce.  She wants to continue BF until the baby is at least a year old but is being pressured by HER OWN lawyer to agree to the baby spending long periods of time with the father.  He insists that the judge will state that she is selfish and controlling among other things.  (Yes, I think she needs a new lawyer, but that's another issue.)  The case is VERY involved with history of domestic violence and abuse suffered during the 6th month of pregnancy.  Although she has agreed to longer visitation for the 2 older children, she does not want to give up the breastfeeding or simply give expressed milk in a bottle.  She has struggled since returning to work with low milk supply and feels this enforced time with baby away from the breast would worsen the problem.  She's trying to compromise by offering to meet and BF every 4-6 hours while the baby is with the father but was told that is too inconvenient for the father.  We've worked on the low milk supply issue and I have discussed  a list of things pertaining to the benefits of baby actually BF at the breast but would like to offer some professional journal articles to back that up.  I've already given her AAP guidelines but wondered if anyone had quick resources specific to the importance of baby at breast over expressed milk in a bottle.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Shirley Breil, RN, MSA, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2