Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 13:03:27 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Subject: Milk Banking
I am a nursing student at the University of North Dakota and I am interested in the practice of human milk banking.  I have read several articles about this practice and I am interested in learning more.  Tully,Lockhart-Borman and Updegrove (2004) found that there are only 6 milk banks in the U.S. and one is in Canada.  These milk banks supply the whole of North America.  I found this interesting because I was suprised there was so few banks. Tully (2002) states although milk is donated the cost per ounce is three dollars with additional fifty cents per ounce to ship it.  However, Arnold(2002)found that using banked milk is cost effective.  In a NICU in San Diego the author found that average saving per infant was eight thousand eight hundred dollars.  The author attributed these saving to how the human milk had a protective effect on the infant's digestive tract and how it help prevent necrotizing enterocolitis.  My question is have any of you had a patient who recieved ban
ked
human milk?  Did you feel it was beneficial, and do you think there is demand for more milk banks?
Tiffany Rancourt, SN, University of North Dakota

References
Arnold, L.D.  (2002).  The cost-effectiveness of using banked donor milk in the neonatal intensive care unit: preventing necrotizing enterocolitis.  Journal of human lactation. 18.2. pg: 172-177.

Tully, M.R.  (2002).  Recipient Prioritization and use of human milk in the hospital setting.  Journal of human lactation. 18.4 pg: 393-996.

Tully, M.R., Lockhart-Borman, L., and Updegrove, K.  (2004).  Stories of success: the use of donor milk is increasing in north America.  Journal of human lactation. 20.1 pg: 75-77.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2