Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Dec 2007 07:25:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
The original post on this topic asked about the use of Neosure added to pumped breast milk after the baby had been discharged. This was my reply:

"I was asked this question the last time I lectured on breastfeeding preemies. First of all,?adding Neosure to pumped human milk is an off label use of the product. It has the potential to interrupt the anti-infective properties of the breast milk, putting the baby at risk for illness. Many mothers are never told when to stop this practice and wind up providing way too much of a number of nutrients. This type of over-nutrition has been shown to predispose these infants to overweight and obesity later in life. This powder is added straight to human milk, not reconstituted with water at 158F (70C) to kill bacteria,?so it has the potential of introducing pathogenic bacteria into human milk whose anti-infective properties have been neutralized by the formula. Bone mineralization is no better with the use of this practice and there is little to recommend its continued use."

In no way have I bashed neonatologists or accused them of not caring about breastfeeding. I have noticed a tendency in Lacnet to stray from the original topic and skew the original discussion. The practice of adding powdered infant formula to pumped milk AFTER discharge is what we were supposed to be discussing.

One of the reasons I seldom contribute anything clinical to Lacnet is illustrated perfectly by this thread of discussion.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2