Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 09:34:32 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
I need some ideas to help this very distraught mom!
I  have permission to post:
A former client whose baby is now 9 mos old called me this weekend b/c her daughter has gone on a nursing strike. There are so many variables that it is difficult to sort out what may be the cause (or it may be a combination). This mom is home with her children (third baby), the baby has never had a bottle or pacifier. The baby eats quite a lot of solids, but co-sleeps and typically nurses about 6 times per day, including during the night.

The last time the baby nursed normally was early evening Tuesday. That is the same day that mom got her first period (had spotting last month). The baby also got a HepB vaccine on Monday. Also, the baby has had her first cold all week, including runny nose, congestion, and now a cough. Finally, the baby has 6 teeth all coming in at once (no biting--none of the teeth are in yet). The mom has had to sit upright with the baby to sleep much of the night and she has had the baby checked for ear infection. The baby cries a lot, sometimes for a couple of hours at a time.

The  baby is eating her other food, drinks little else though. She is not dehydrated. She did nurse once on Thursday morning for a good feeding. Mom's supply is getting quite low and I encouraged mom to pump more and feed the milk in a cup (was pumping only twice per day, thinking this wouldn't last so long). Mom said the bbay was taking some milk in a cup, but is now refusing that also. I also suggested she try co-bathing, which she did yesterday--the baby became very mellow and relaxed, would hang out near the nipple, but would not nurse.

Mom has not changed any soap, deodorant, etc, There have been no changes in her diet and she had taken no meds prio to Tuesday. On Thursday, she began abx due to a sinus infection, but that is 2 days after the onset of breast refusal. Mom says there has been no emotional upset in the family--except the nursing strike, of course.

Mom has spent time just hanging out in the bed, skin-to-skin, carries the baby everywhere and keeps offering the breast whenever baby seems interested. I have suggested homeopathic teething tablets (said she would try them today) and using a sling w/ her top off. She hastried offerinf the breast when the baby is sleepy, just waking up, wide awake, etc and in various positions.

Any other ideas?
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2