Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Dec 2011 12:36:41 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Briefly before the many things I (and many others on this list) need to be doing in this next 24+ hours, I want to thank Lactnet listmothers and participants. 

The recent kind comments are really not about me. RPS is in great part possible due to the networking on this forum that "lets me hear myself think", and has given me, and continues to give me feedback. Lactnet has been a vital part of my thinking processes, without which the concept of RPS as I have articulated it, would not have come to be. Others around the world in different cultures and in different decades have used different ways to accomplish similar results, and I recommend that the "each one teach one" approach continue. 

Jan, you gave me my original "rocket launch" blast off on to the printed page here in the U.S. Rachel you have been the "wind beneath my wings" with your personal support, adding a further boost into international attention when you presented RPS in Europe, and did the first translation into another language, (by now I have lost count of the permissions asked-perhaps 17 different languages.) You added illustrations (duh! Thanks for helping me remember: "A picture is worth a thousand words!") for publication in your midwives journal. Your support built my confidence and enlarged my vision. It led me to enlist the talent of my then-teen grandson Kyle (who is now internationally known in his own right for his art.)  I could never have imagined in my wildest dreams where all this networking and "putting 2 + 2 together" would lead, and is continuing to lead. I couldn't possibly begin to name all those who have helped to midwife RPS into the light of day;-) 

I thank each and every one who has added his or her own clinical insights as the concept of RPS has been growing. I encourage us all in our efforts to learn more about anatomy, giving special consideration to the non-commercial viewpoints of histology, lymphatic physiology and fluid balance and exchange, through many souces of learning. But lets continue to think critically about the source(s) of our information. 

My 60+ year old high school physics has been the foundation of my curiosity about hydraulic forces in milk transfer. My life pathway led me through some college courses, but never to attain any degrees or formal reseach capabilities. But kinesthetic learning has always contributed new dimensions to my insights. My intellectual curiosity continues to build on 6+ decades of hands-on clinical practice. 

I respect the insights of all whose pathway has led them to "hands off" style. But my pathway has honed the sensations in my fingertips, (and perhaps enlarged that area of my cortex?). My sense of touch helps me visualize what might be going on deep beneath the skin, especially during the dynamic changes happening in the first 7-14 days postpartum. I believe simple kinesthetic teaching can be of great value to new mothers who accept the offer when asked permission to touch their breast. 

I encourage each of you to keep seeking answers to the questions in your mind,  from every source at your disposal. Each of us helps make breastfeeding easier by continuing to teach not only mothers and fathers, but colleagues in our own and other professions within the clinical workplaces and the wider community, and in print and anywhere else we have the opportunity to be.  It is a privilege to be a part of this forum! Warm seasonal wishes to all in your own life paths!

And now to tackle uncluttering the dining room before I end up later this evening in the choir loft with my friends, singing of angels who serenaded a special child in the arms and at the breast of his mother mild! 

K. Jean Cotterman RNC-E, IBCLC
WIC Volunteer LC    Dayton OH

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2