Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2003 01:16:30 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (56 lines)
"When the mother first introduced solids at around 4 months of age, the baby's face broke out in a rash and the baby developed eczema.  She was advised to stop solids and go back to exclusive breastfeeding.  When she started solids again, baby exhibited allergic symptoms in response to many foods.   The mother has also had allergic responses to many foods; and, if my memory serves me correctly, the father also has food allergies."

I agree with Barbara that there may well be an environmental factor in all of this. I know a doctor who had to sell his new house b/c it made his wife so ill she could barely function.

OTOH, I have counseled a mother on-line who dealt with allergies over long period of time who was able to solve the vast majority of her baby's reactions by really cleaning up her diet.  She was already a vegetarian so ate no meat or cow milk products and was instructed by the doc she consulted to eat very nutrient-dense foods (2lb of greens per day), and add many more EFA's to her diet. She added walnuts and ground flax seeds. On this diet, one also eats no additional oils, very few grains and primarily veggies, fruits and beans. In her opinion, this solved "85%" of her baby's problems.

Other effective treatments are homeopathy and NAET or EFT (I prefer EFT). These methods desensitize the individual, so that he no longer reacts to the offending food or substance. I have personally used EFT and I know Jay has patients who have used NAET effectively.

"About 2 weeks ago the mother allowed the baby to have one bite of one cracker (wheat-based).  The child vomited repeatedly, broke out in hives, and began having difficulty breathing.  Baby was taken to emergency room, treated and released. RAST allergy testing was just done.  The test shows baby is allergic to eggs, oats, milk, barley, wheat, soy, potatoes, peanuts, peas, crab, pork, beef, corn, banana, and apple.  Infant is marginally allergic to tuna and one other fish I can't remember.   Turkey and plum tests are still pending.  Infant is not allergic to tomato, strawberries, carrots, orange, chicken or peaches"

She might also consider whether this baby might have celiac disease--it has a genetic component, many of the foods from the baby's RAST test are gluten foods and it is one of the most frequently undiagnosed conditions in the US.

"Mother states test showed pears were OK, but infant had rash on lips and around mouth with first exposure to pears; and she does not feel there is a chance the reaction was due to something else."

Is mom feeding this baby organic foods?--pesticides or herbicides could be a factor.

"The mother lost 10 pounds in a week trying to avoid all foods to which the baby might be allergic (and before the allergy testing).  She desperately wants to breastfeed and cannot imagine how she could comfort her child or put the child to sleep without nursing.   However, she is afraid that she will hurt the child if she breastfeeds and passes on an allergen.  I just reviewed with her the many physiologic benefits of continued breastfeeding."

Well, almost all AIM contains the foods on the baby's RAST list, so she is sure to feed him the allergies if she switches to any of them. Also, the truth is that the foods on that list are pretty easy to avoid if she prepares her own food (avoids processed food) and eats a really clean diet.

"She has talked with a public health dietitian, who stated milk and peanuts were the proteins most likely to be passed through the breast milk that could cause major problems."

I do not agree with this at all. I think they are just the proteins most commonly thought of and that so many mothers are exposed to, but no more likely to be passed on than any other.

" I have strongly advised the mother to continue breastfeeding (or at the least to maintain her milk supply if she and the child's physician choose to temporarily start a hypoallergenic formula such as Neocate), but to avoid all milk and peanut protein and to rotate foods in her diet."

This will not be enough if the baby is allergic to the other foods on the list.

"This situation is way beyond my expertise.  Her most important question is, "Is it safe to continue breastfeeding?""

I think the most important question is "Is it safe not to bf this baby"?

"  She also needs guidance on what she can eat.  If anyone knows a dietitian or other health professional in Phoenix, preferably northwest valley, who could help this mother plan meals for herself and her baby, please let me know.   Her allergist seems to be supportive of breastfeeding, but not accustomed to working with a couplet who would like to continue nursing beyond a year of age."

I recommend she read  "Eat To LIve" by Joel Furhamn. He is a doctor in NJ, his book is fabulous and he does phone consults. (And check out the environmental factors, too--new building materials, drinking water, vaccines, bedding, etc).

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

Any help you can give me in guiding this beautiful nursing couplet would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your combined wisdom.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2