Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:21:53 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (62 lines)
I would love to know how many of these babies are dealing with moms who have over supply and so standard upright breastfeeding positions and/or one breast per feeding.  If the mother has a high storage capacity, baby gets a fire hose let-down every feeding and may consume too much milk per feeding.  What is the weight gain? Is the baby unhappy, uncomfortable, does the baby have atopic dermatitis? I strongly suspect that allergy has been way over-diagnosed and even IF there is some type of situation, I would recommend healing the mother's gut FIRST, then work on food elimination stuff.  New information on epigenetics of breastfeeding and the effect of human milk on the expression of the genotype makes me suspicious of all these efforts to "eventually" put the baby on AIM as if that will replace all the multi-factorial effects of the BREASTFEEDING RELATIONSHIP on the human being.  Can you tell I've been to an excellent conference with new researchers?  Human babies were DESIGNED to breastfeed.  Human mammas were DESIGNED to breastfeed.  When will society get that and accommodate that?  
Just my rant for today.
Jane in Tennessee

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doula
Sent: Monday, October 15, 2012 5:47 PM
Subject: Bloody Stools/"Milk Allergy"

PTP

I have a postpartum doula client who contacted me today stating her pediatrician has informed my client she must eliminate cow milk/eggs from her diet due to ***one*** diaper with two streaks of blood in it (she found the blood today--there has been no visible blood until today).  The baby was full-term and is currently
7 weeks old.  Baby has been and continue to gain nicely.  The mother also complains baby's "poops" are usually explosive and has, for the most part, stools approximately 8x/day.  Other than streaks of blood, stools sound to be normal.

As her ppdoula, I had changed a diaper or two in the three weeks I was with her immediately after birth and was NOT concerned about the number of stools, consistency, color, etc.

If time permits, what do you usually recommend to mother/baby dyads in this similar situation.

Personally, in the 18 years I have been a ppdoula, I have seen a fair number of moms attempt this elimination diet, and it's been my observation most of these moms find this diet too stressful and decide to switch to ABM.

Mom feels VERY STRONGLY about CONTINUING her bfeeding relationship with her child.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom !

--Kathy

Katherine Koncelik, CPD, CLC
     -------------------------------
Treasurer
Co-Founder
Long Island Doula Assoc., Inc.
A 501.c.3 Not-For-Profit Charitable Corporation

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2