Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 03:40:19 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Most people on this list will be aware of the impediments to breastfeeding that tongue-ties can cause, and that each one is different. While our focus is on breastfeeding and for many of us speech impediments are outside our scope of practice, it is well to be aware of them.  One that I've recently encountered in taking a family history is that a speech impediment may be specific to one language and not another, because of the placement of the tongue for making certain sounds. Even if there is no speech impediment in the first language, it may occur when the individual attempts to learn another language. The way "r" is pronounced in some languages is an example, for some individuals.

I should have thought of this before, as for some years I worked as a language teacher (English as a Sceond Language and English for Academic Purposes) in order to support my poorly paid work in the breastfeeding field. So I was aware that some sounds exist, or do not exist, in a language, impacting on learning another language.

My take-home message? When taking a family history when a baby has a tongue-tie and previous generations have had persistent breastfeeding difficulties, this may be another question to explore. Those of you with training in speech pathology may want to comment.

Virginia

Virginia Thorley, OAM, PhD, IBCLC, FILCA
Lactation Consultant (original cohort of 1985).
Cultural historian of the History of Medicine.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
             http://www.uq.edu.au/hprc/dr-virginia-thorley   
email:  [log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2