Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 11:28:56 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Dear Allies,
First let me thank all of you for your quick and helpful responses both on and off list!  

An update on the twin in the NICU.  As often happens by the time the parents called me they had already made several requests that they felt were ignored or had been denied outright.  They were becoming more and more assertive (in a nice but firm way) in their requests for something to happen.  After I talked with the dad yesterday they again requested rooming in.  Here is what happened: 

I just got a call (Sun, 3/31 @ 10:30 AM) from twin dad.  He was on his way to the hosp. to pick up momma and baby!  They told the staff they'd like to have mom and baby room-in on the regular mother/baby unit until discharge.  Dr had been telling them this was risky because if things didn't go well they would NOT take baby back into their NICU (germ exposure), he'd have to go to the NICU in another hosp. (????!!!!)  Parents said they'd take their chances with this bizarre policy.  Mom and baby spent the night together and staff decided baby was doing well enough to discharge today.  

Parents think the whole apnea monitor is ridiculous, but have agreed to it's use (baby had ONE apnea episode OVER A WEEK AGO).  As the dad said, I think we'd notice if he stopped breathing or were choking.  He is on medication for the reflux and apparently responding well.

Anyway, we have some follow-up plans for getting baby off the bottle and exclusively on the breast (he's doing both well right now), possible use of a scale for mom to take pre and post feed weights so she will feel assured that he is getting adequate intake, and discussion of how to increase hindmilk intake if weight gain drops off.

I'm still open to any of your excellent suggestions for follow-up with this nursing triad.  

Thanks for your support!  Sometimes I feel like I'm really "out there" when my suggestions don't mesh well with Drs.  Nice to be reassured that sometimes Mother Nature knows better than med school.

Dawn Martin
Austin, TX

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2