Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:05:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
I am wondering if this is maybe the case of the adverse reaction to food later on being the cause not the effect? Of my 4 kids, the first (when I was a teen mom with no support back in 1990) was formula fed and started on solids at 4 months, she has struggled with weight issues and allergies her whole life, the other 3 were all breastfed for four and a half years and did not start any solids until close to 12 months of age, more because of my paranoia that it would make them not want to nurse as long, I am ashamed to admit. But they are all now, at almost 18, 10, and soon to be 6 very healthy, "normal" weight, no allergies, health issues, etc and love all food. So when I hear people claim there is this "window of opportunity" at such a very young age, I wonder if maybe the children that have this adverse reaction are ones who already have something different going on with their digestive system, orol-facial physiology, chemical/food sensitivities, etc, and as a result are not interested in an introduction to solids at the more typical time that is recommended, in the US, at least? I have heard a lot of moms bring up this "window of opportunity" as a reason to push solids on their babies right at 6 months, and express concern if their babies refuse the food... it makes so much sense to absolutely offer the foods at 6 months, or when baby is showing signs of readiness, but certainly let the baby decide when/if/how much!

Kerry McIlvenna-Davis
LLL leader, IBCLC candidate July 2010

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2