Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:59:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Dear all:

I think I may even carry less than Barbara Wilson Clay.  I carry the weighing scale and it 
has dawned on me that I use it more as a reinforcement for teaching mothers how to 
read their infant's feeding cues than any other purpose.  

I may eat my words because we are in an economic downturn that I am beginning to feel 
--- but because private practice LCs charge a relatively high price in Manhattan for a 
clientele that is used to "personal trainers" I actually don't charge --- or only charge cost 
for any supply item that I may feel is necessary for a mother at the time of the visit.  
Since most of what I use for feeding is inexpensive and I use these items rarely --- it 
does not eat into my operating costs to an appreciable degree --- probably less than 1% 
of my monthly phone bill.  I don't carry either the LactAid or the SNS to sell.   If mothers 
might really benefit from the tube on the breast I simply make the Jack Newman's tube 
feeding system out of a long feeding tube and whatever bottles the mother might have on 
hand. It works much better than any other temporary device.  The starter SNS's tend to 
clog and flow too slowly for most just out of the hospital babies --- I usually see babies 
on the downswing from when the starter SNS's worked OK because the baby wasn't yet 
taking much --- but then the feedings get longer and longer as the baby needs more and 
the tubes on the starter SNS's get clogged.  If they can manage the Jack Newman's 
system --- then we talk over what permanent system might be appropriate for them to 
purchase on their own.  Feeding tubes are light weight and when you drag a scale up and 
down the steps what you carry counts.  

I don't take pillows, pumps or other pump gadgets with me.  They weigh too much.  I'm 
even cautious on forms.  I carry the forms I need for the visit and just a few extra of the 
forms that I don't use often.  Paper can add to the weight quickly AND if you are caught 
in a New York City thunderstorm -- umbrellas quickly blow inside out.  So, even with 
good plastic protection, papers can still sometimes get wet.  Nothing like having to throw 
out a big clump of soggy paper because there was one tiny opening in the plastic 
protector sheets.

Sooooooo... the reality of life in New York if you are middle class forces one into a 
position of minimizing what you can drag around with you.  Without even working hard at 
it you end up with a relatively low carbon footprint.  Without having to think too hard 
about "ethical" issues you often end up not having to worry about whether or not you will 
be corrupted by selling items.  The mere thought of dragging 15 pounds of pump along 
with the suitcase that has the scale and forms up and down one to three flights of stairs 
at every subway stop or up the fifth floor walkups leads to pragmatic decisions.  

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2