Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Nov 2004 13:38:58 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
My name is Courtney Linghor and I am a junior nursing student at the University of North Dakota.  I choose to join this listsev because I am interested in becoming a labor and delivery nurse.  I am also a LPN working in the Family Birth Center and I work with moms who breast feed.  A topic that I have interest in is the benefits of breastfeeding to prevent childhood overweight.  I found some information that I would like to share.
        A study by Kries et al. was designed to determine the impact of breastfeeding on weight in children at the time of entry of school.  The findings indicated that 2.8% that became overweight were breast fed and 4.5% that became overweight were not breast fed.  The results found that breastfeeding was a significant protective factor against children becoming overweight.  In a study by Grummer-Stawn & Mei (2004), it was also concluded that prolonged breast feeding provided health benefits to children and a reduced risk of becoming overweight.
        In the study by Hediger, Overpeck, Kuczmarski & Ruan (2001),  the influence of breastfeeding reduced the risk of children becoming overweight was measured. The conclusion of this study indicated that breast feeding is highly recommended, but may not be as effective in preventing children becoming overweight.  What have you recommended in your professional practices?.  Thank you in advance for any information, it is greatly appreciated.

Courtney Linghor, SN
University of North Dakota

References:
        Grummer-Strawn, L. & Mei, Z. (2004). Does breast feeding protect against pediatric overweight? Analysis of longitudinal data from the centers of disease control & prevention pediatric nutrition surveillance system. Pediatrics, 113(2), 81-86.
        Hediger, M., Overpeck., Kuczmarski, R. & Ruan, J. (2001). Association between infant breast feeding & overweight in young children. JAMA, 285(19), 2453-2460.
        Kries, R., Koletzko, B., Sauerwald, T., Mytius, E.,Barnert, D., Grunert, V. & Voss, H. (1999). Breast feeding & obesity: cross sectional study. BMJ, 319, 147-150.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2