Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 May 2013 16:47:49 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I don't agree Karleen with you.  

I think many mums adoptive mums do not make enough milk to supply all their baby's nutrition,  even if they keep feeding for long enough, and I doubt many would make enough for a newborn.  If it takes them 6 mnths then they are not really making a full milk supply (but they don't need to by then either)  I don't think that it is very helpful to tell adoptive mothers that they could have made a full milk supply but they didn't try hard enough or long enough when there are underlying problems to begin with, any more than it helps to tell any mother that they would make enough milk if they just tried harder.    I don't think that means they can't breastfeed successfully.  Yes, maximise breastfeeding and milk supply will be maximised.  but for some mothers they still won't produce much milk and will need to supplement - no drama there, just that it's a different experience.  I have worked with many adoptive mums who are highly motivated to breastfeed.  But I haven't yet seen many who have made a full supply, and not for lack of trying.  Often they feel that what they do produce, or the experience itself is not worthy of being called breastfeeding.  The cases where women do make a good milk supply are celebrated in case studies, because we really WANT it to be so for all women, but I don't think it's the reality for most

Warm Regards
Barb

> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2