Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2011 18:19:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
In addition to all of the wonderful things already said about the emotional trauma of major surgery and potential residual pain I'd like to point out that this poor little guy JUST had a major surgery that could absolutely have neurological implications. You don't mention if it was more than one cranial suture or which suture but typically this is a surgery where they are literally sawing/drilling or otherwise cutting apart the bones of the skull that are fused when they really shouldn't be yet. The more sutures that were divided the more potentially invasive the surgery. Sometimes there was pressure on the brain leading up to the surgery, part of the point of surgery is to decrease pressure and allow for appropriate brain growth. Anyway, my point is that the surgery itself could cause transient neurological symptoms (including anxiety & apparent "personality changes") that should get better with time. A month out from surgery is not that far. But the treatment is still the same whether the babe's problems are neurological or emotional or residual pain (or all of the above which is highly likely), a peaceful, calm, loving home environment (dim lights, quiet voices, familiar faces) & lots & lots of time in mama's arms & on her skin.

There is a nice online support group for families of kiddos with craniosynostosis that mom might benefit from:
http://www.craniokids.org/

I know others may disagree with me on this next point, but I personally would be *very* cautious about having CST done on this babe so recently post-operatively. If you know someone who specifically has worked with MANY children who have had this surgery and has had consistently good outcomes than you might consider it. But in general the skull, meninges and brain itself are still healing and possibly/probably still inflamed and generally the best thing we can do to heal a brain is *leave it alone*. As little stimulation as possible allows the brain to heal itself better. 

So this mama needs to cut her little one A LOT of slack and look for support and help wherever she can get it cause her baby really needs her right now.

Best of luck to them both.
Laura Wasielewski MS, CCC-SLP, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2