Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Feb 2014 19:13:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Yes, Melinda is right -- Medihoney is absolutely safe to use.

I've been living in New Zealand for the past two years. I remembered Catherine Watson Genna speaking about MediHoney at a conference and was very keen to try it when we arrived and discovered that it was readily available at nearly every pharmacy and health-food shop.

In my work as a private practice IBCLC, I have not recommended lanolin a single time since coming to New Zealand. I like the quick results of the antifungal and antibacterial properties of the medical-grade honey. Mothers report quick relief with these products, and I have used the gel frequently on myself and my children as well. Wound healing is noticeably faster. And it doesn't have to be an actual wound to work. Mothers with breast pain, but no visible signs of infection or nipple damage, have also reported relief from their symptoms.

There are two common brands of medical-grade manuka honey available in New Zealand, and they are both available on-line in the US and parts of Europe, too. I do not have a preference between the two brands, and use them interchangeably.

One is the Comvita brand. The other is the Manuka Health brand. In addition to the tubes of medical-grade honey, Manuka Health also makes a hydrogel breast pad infused with medical-grade honey: http://manukahealth.co.nz/wound_care.cfm?product_id=55

Interesting side note: my mother trained as a nurse in the Chicago area back in the early 60s & she remembers being taught to use honey as a wound dressing back then. Nothing new under the sun, they say.

I do not have any financial interest in any of these companies.

Theresa Yaroshevich, IBCLC
Auckland, New Zealand

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2