Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 13:20:48 +1100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
Hi Susan,
I disagree, I think that it was a review but certainly not a systematic one. 
Karleen Gribble
Australia

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Burger
Sent: Wednesday, 9 February 2011 12:56 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Not a review -- an opinion piece

Dear all:

I fear that the standards in medical science must have descended considerably if the BMJ "Opinion piece" is considered a review.  That was not a review, it was spin, pure and simple.  Let me repeat.  It was NOT a study, it was NOT a review, it WAS spin.  A review requires advance thinking about your conceptual framework.  It involves setting criteria for evaluating your conceptual framework.  It involves ensuring that your collection of information is not biased.  I did not see any of those basic principals in what I considered to be a very poor oped piece and I do not believe the disclaimers of some of the authors that the conflicts of interest made no difference in their conclusions, especially when it is now being reported in the news media as NEW RESEARCH. How would the news media be aware of a poorly written opinion piece if press releases were not sent to them?  I RARELY see good investigative journalism in the health sections of even major newspapers.  Even Jane Brody used to dish out slightly microwaved versions of press releases from the food industry.  I stopped reading her column when she suggested that babies could get a little extra DHA from formula rather than using a few of her gray cells to put together that mothers might actually be able to eat foods rich in DHA.

Peer reviewed journals do allow opinion pieces, but that does NOT qualify these as "reviews".

Sincerely, 

Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2