Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jun 2011 19:08:44 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Basically Nina, I don't think we are too far off.  

First, however, I have to point out that agriculture refers to the culture of PLANTS, not animals.  Animals can be exploited, particularly when they are treated as livestock.  

My point is that it is hypocritical to regulate human milk and the milk of other mammals under different regulatory bodies when the sanitary practices to maintain the integrity of the milk is exactly the same.  When other mammals are injected with hormones, placed on unnatural and unhealthy diets, and are not allowed sufficient space to roam freely -- is that not exploitation?  How many of us really track down what happened to the cow before we drink our milk?  I have had the good fortune to drink fresh milk from a free range cow and from free-range goats and a camels.  It tastes entirely different.  Market forces increased the quantity of milk available, but not the quantity.  It also drove us to put non-species specific milk on our food charts as if drinking milk from another species is actually necessary.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2