Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 1996 17:00:06 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (59 lines)
I have to say this ahs been on my mind since the first post on it was published.

Perhaps I have disclosed too much personal information already but everyone who knows me
WELL knows what I have been through in the past so really it's no big secret.  I am not
particularly proud of some of it but I am not ashamed of it either.  However, if there
is one thing I am familiar with, it is the drug culture in the US.  more familiar than
most of you, I am sure of that.

I have had acquaintances in the past who have breastfed their babies after delivery to
reduce withdrawal symptoms in their babies on physician recommendadtion.  Drugs moms
were using ranged from cocaine, crack, meth and herion.  This is to help the baby not
intended to allow moms to continue drug use.  It's a scarey and emotional issue but
babies born into addiction can be weaned down with the help of breastfeeding and
cooperation of the mother, Ped and mom's physician.  Don't know specifics on frequency
of feedings or dosage/use restrictions placed on moms, just know it has been done
without removal of the infant from mom's custody.

I agree that breastfeeding is our concern and moral judgements need to be restrained
even in these types of issues but I do sympathicize with those of you who are torn by
the issue.  It has been my experience that the drug use continues either right after the
birth or after weaning which still places the infant to exposure to it via passive smoke
or the culture and life style at the very least.  Drugs will be consumed and yes, it is
unfortunate that moms will also be included in that group.  But we must learn how to
deal with these moms in a non-judgemental way.

As for the gov't involvement in it, I find it hard to believe that any dept will remove
an infant in this situation where the offending substance is marijuanna.  The system is
overloaded as it is.  I do believe that they would threaten to do it but I suspect that
few will actually follow through with it.

Another little issue that I kinda throw in with drug use (I know someone will not be
pleased about this) is the use or herbal remedies.  Not all of these herbs are tested
any many we know nothing about but I often see people recommending them to mothers.
Really gets me steamed when this happens.  If they know their stuff and are sure that
there will be no harm done to the baby and have proof to back it, I have no problem with
it but I see moms taking incredible doses of acidophylus, for example, and buying them
at $18-20.00 a bottle (the bottle often last a week)!  While this many not harm the mom
or infant, I am sure it hurts their budget!  I have seen people taking things that you
would not believe while pregnant and breastfeeding (latest was a mom in first trimester
taking blue cohosh for a reason that is still not clear to me and started having
contractions, herbalist person told her to increase the dosage, mom lost the baby next
morning.  Yes, herb person knew mom was pregnant and still suggested its use which I
have read is a BIG no no!)  Some are harmful to all and some I haven't a clue about, but
I never have seen any discussion on this on Lactnet.  What do others do in the case of a
mom who is taking herbs on a regular basis?  I know moms who are taking like 7 or 8
different things a few times a day!  PLEASE, don't be offended by this if you believe in
herbal remedies, I am just a skeptic who is caught up in something that seems very
strange and there is little information on this that I can find.

Now that I have taken a whole digests up myself (sorry), I will sink back and try to
decide what to have for dinner.
--
Melissa Brancho
The Nursing Corner
RD 7 Box 382
Bedford, PA  15522
Fax & Voice: 814-623-9357
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2