Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2012 22:21:23 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Angela , this is a very important project.  Registered Dietitians, (RD's) are a respected part of the health care team.  They definitely promote breastfeeding and until I started working on Newark / Nestle I thought breastfeeding was part of their curriculum to become dietitians and nutritionists but I see now there are many who have had no training in the field of lactation. And it seems many don't  even know that 97% of women can make sufficient milk for a singleton, twins or triplets.

On the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website women are referred to their doctor or an RD if they are having problems breastfeeding but are these the best places to send women? There is no mention of seeing a breastfeeding counselor or lactation consultant. Maybe "they don't know what they don't know?"

For example, a young graduate of the College of St. Elizabeth (NJ) Dietetic Program has just developed Nestlé's program to target childhood obesity in Newark, New Jersey.  I would have thought a new grad would be excited about promoting breastfeeding but what education did she receive in her course?  I can't think very much or would she really want to work for Nestle, who everyone agrees, (after seeing Nestle logos behind Mayor Booker as he accepted Nestlé's $100,000.00 check / "free" program and saw the formula ads pop up on Nestlé's press release), has only one agenda: to promote their formula and baby foods. 

It surprised me to find out, (yesterday), that "A Registered Dietitian who holds a position with a company that produces infant formula is not violating the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' Code of Ethics".  How can they say, as posted on their site,  "The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics recommends exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months to provide optimal nutrition and health protection, and breastfeeding with complementary foods from 6 months until at least 12 months of age" ... and work for the formula industry?

This takes me back 40 years ago, when as a nurse, I promoted breastfeeding but topped up all the babies in the nursery with formula, (when they threw up I thought that was good - they were getting rid of mucus) and gave all the mothers a formula gift pack when they were discharged from hospital.  I thought I was doing the right thing.  Looking back it was the formula companies who gave us our education about infant feeding (along with a coffee and donut, the docs got a full meal and wine) - we were used as their reps!!   It's all about education ... Angela good for you - keep us posted.  If the Academy is going to suggest they can help women breastfeed they need, at the barest minimum, the WHO / UNICEF 18 hour breastfeeding course (although they need to realize that is not enough education to make them "experts).

Renee (in Vancouver)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2