Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 10:22:16 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
If all advertising in all medical journals was required to be vetted for evidence-based effectiveness, conflict-of-interest-free, etc., there would be NO advertising and probably no medical journals. Advertising revenue underwrites the cost of producing the magazine.  This applies to every print or even internet published site.  If there is no product sold, there is no revenue for advertising.  If there are no venues for advertising, there is no revenue.  It is a vicious circle.  The whole world operates off somebody somewhere being willing to work for the hope of profit.  Excesses of profit are available to contribute to folks who can't work or make profit.  There is a philosophical underpinning to every choice.  And that includes why women choose or don't choose to breastfeed.  Philosophy is as much emotional as it is intellectual, in my opinion.  I once heard a scientist at a lecture talk about the quest for truth.  He said, "when the scientist starts climbing that mountain to find the truth, he soon encounters the philosopher, and when he reaches the top, he finds a priest."  His meaning was that there has to be a "belief" that there is order in the world and that there are laws that allow us to trust our world, and that belief comes from some kind of "religious" world view.  Those who don't believe that mankind was created to breastfeed, or that man is intentionally evolving can do some crazy things - like advocating formula and making breastfeeding an act that must be defended.  It's an upside down world!  To me it's like having to have a campaign to prove that air is a good thing to breathe, walking is better than wheelchairing, sex is better than artificial insemination, etc. etc!  I really love the idea of "Breastfeeding is NORMAL!" 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of jan
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 1:54 AM
Subject: Lansinoh

Liz Brooks attempts to justify ILCA's position in accepting Lansinoh's money for advertising and exhibiting.

I am totally unconvnced - ILCA has a responsibility to operate with the highest integrity and take the advice of NABA/Marsha Walker and Betty Sterken/INFACT which would be the same as any other IBFAN representatives worldwide, I'm sure.

It's appalling to do otherwise. ILCA has let the international breastfeedingcommunity down again when they should be taking the moral high ground. 

Liz - you say you are not ILCA's lawyer, but I do get confused as to whether you speak on behalf of ILCA on Lactnet or as an individual as you constantly remind us that you are on the Board ?

This issue doesn't necessarily need a lawyer anyway, or if it did, it's the UNICEF lawyer who has worked with the Code for many many years that would be more useful and free from conflict of interest.

Jan Cornfoot
Breastfeeding Advocate.

Not only is Lansinoh (Pigeon) a Code violator, is there evidence for this product's benefits?? and isn't it necessary to only associate with (endorse by
assocation) products that are proven and te replicated, through randomized controlled studies to be effective.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2