Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2011 15:22:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Melanie, I guess I don't see what the big deal is here with this baby?  Going from the 4th to the 2nd percentile is not a big deal.  Are they using a WHO growth chart or a Ross growth chart?  Is the baby thriving, meeting developmental milestones?  Does the baby have a few words, good color, does he or she smile and laugh and make good eye contact?  If the toddler is thriving, I would encourage mom to offer lots of healthy, nutrient dense foods--peanut butter, whole grains, yogurts, and continue to breastfeed as desired.  Pediasure is unnecessary if you ask me.  Babies typically will get what they need if offered three meals with a few healthy snacks.  My triplet daughter was little and I was always given a hard time about fattening her up.  Developmentally, she was fine, and at age 12, she is a lovely petite girl.  If there's no problem with development, I'd say making a big deal about consuming calories will only make this little one want to eat less.  If the baby is truly failure to thrive--meaning poor growth, developmental delay, poor inter relational skills, then that's another story.

Anne Nans
CPNP, IBCLC
Sackets Harbor, NY

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2