Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Apr 2014 13:58:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
The curvature of the vacuum is gentler, the nipple is slightly released and appears to mimic more closely the decrease in vacuum that happens when a baby swallows.  Also shorter pumping sessions are better for nipples.  I've had three moms walk in here this morning with similar situations.   All three helped.  Moms often pump way too long in my observation putting stress on the outer skin.  The whole purpose of the pump is not to extract milk by vacuum.  It is to elicit let-down then keep the milk flowing out of the breast as quickly as possible without obstructing or allowing milk to "reflux" back into the breast.  Too strong a pressure can further damage things and it doesn't help the milk come out better.  I have found that for most moms a pressure setting of around 160 mmhg is adequate.  A few need a little more.  One study I saw presented showed that an infant can sometimes generate very high pressures which can cause nipple pain and damage.  Using a shield to blunt the pressures can help that situation.  I don't know how often high pressure is a problem, but it is one avenue to explore. 

-----Original Message-----

From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Doula

Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 9:58 AM

Subject: Re: Fissures on nipple

J. Kershaw:

> Tell her to get a symphony pump and use on low settings with compression.  Use a wider flange to avoid pressure.  

Jane, why do you specifically suggest the Symphony ?  Vacuum settings different, gentler ?

—K

Kathy Koncelik, CPD, CLC  

-------------------------------

Treasurer

Co-Founder

Long Island Doula Assoc., Inc.

A 501.c.3 Not-For-Profit Charitable Corporation

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2