Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:11:02 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I wrote a couple of weeks ago about my frustration because the Israeli formula company, Materna, owned by Nestles, sent invitations to pediatricians, public-health nurses and other health professionals to a grand dinner, concert by a famous local singer and a lecture by their "expert" on infant nutrition from Nestle International.
I had received the invitation from one of the doctors and he was so disgusted he asked me to activate a protest.
Of all the people I circulated this invitation to, the Association of Midwives were the only organization to act on it.  Debby Gadal-Beer, co-ordinator of Womens Health Studies at Sheba Medical Centre, and former Secretary General of the Midwives Association, together with some of her colleagues activated a deluge of letters of protest to the Ministry of Health.
Lo and behold, a letter went out from the head of Public Health to all Ministry personnel, forbidding participation in this event and explaining clearly that this was in contravention of the WHO Code.
This shows that we must keep protesting even though it feels that we have a very small voice against the mighty dollars of the formula companies.
Wendy Blumfield

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2