Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2012 17:46:37 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Permission to post:

I am working with a mom who is breastfeeding, pumping and supplementing. Her right breast has a regular nipple, is producing milk and she can express 3 ounces from that side when pumping. Her left breast is hard and lumpy. It has an inverted nipple and she is unable to pump milk from that side. Baby has never latched on the left side. When she is feeding baby on the right side she may experience milk flow from the left, but the milk is clear. Milk expressed from the right side is milk coloured. (I did explain that since breasts produce milk separately that one might be further ahead on the path to mature milk than the other, especially as one breast is getting all the baby stimulation and the other the pump, which it doesn't "let down" for)

She describes it as feeling fibrous. There is no redness and she says that her left breast has always felt a bit fibrous compared to the right. She states that this has gotten worse during menstruation (pre-pregnancy). Now on postpartum day 5 she says that it got harder and more fibrous last night (postpartum day 4). However when I am palpating her breast she is NOT complaining of any pain or tenderness. She says it just feels hard and lumpy but other than that just fine. The breast on palpation is hard in spots, it is very lumpy, more so than usual for an engorged breast (from what I am used to palpating). Also the lumps are bigger than I usually expect to feel. Her breasts are quite large and pendulous. The lumps are bigger than a golf ball in size but smaller than a tennis ball, no tenderness at all. 

For now I have advised her to continue feeding on the right, and to pump and store the milk from the left, (Baby was able to transfer a full feed from the right). I have asked her to ask her Dr for a diagnostic ultrasound on Monday. I have never encountered anything like this before, and am wondering if anyone has any ideas or experience with this. Are there any other tests she should consider having done?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated,

thanks,
Sonya

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2