Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 2010 15:25:02 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hello Again
I want to thank this community so much for all the wonderful responses to my client's question about the baby with bloody stools.
I promised to keep you posted, and this is her update:
"Well I had my second opinion today with the pediatric gastro.   She allowed us to make our own choice but gave us all the information.  She said it is definitely a milk allergy and I can continue to breastfeed if I manage a strict diet and give my son vitamins with iron and have his iron level checked often to watch for anemia.  She wishes i would switch to formula but is ok with breastfeeding as long as my son continues to gain weight and not have pain when going to the bathroom.  I have been working this new diet for two weeks now and when she checked two of his stool samples today they tested negative for blood which is a good sign that we are on the right track.  I will keep you posted!
Thanks for all your help,"

also, at the question about has she given the baby vitamins like poly-vi-sol, she answered: "This is actually ironic.  The pediatrician just prescribed these for him to start taking because of the strong chance he could become anemic.  I will have to monitor it slowly."

I will stay in touch with her to see if this diet in mom will eliminate all the baby's symptoms.  In this case it was an allergy, but now I have a lot more information for the next time I run into a mom/baby like this, so THANK YOU all very much!

Loes (the Dutchie in NY)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Bellies and Babies Inc.
Loes Lindsay, RN, BS, IBCLC, RLC
East Setauket, New York 11733
www.belliesandbabies.org

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2