Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:16:23 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I had this condition all my life, through 3 pregnancies, and while nursing all three children.
There is now a procedure to correct this with a radio frequency ablation to destroy the fifth pathway of electricity in the heart through a catherization technique which does not involve open heart surgery. I even had mine corrected by going through the aerota which was more risky, especially at the time. this mom can get information about this condition, and this technique online. Mine was corrected 8 yrs ago and I am totally cured. The area of medical speciality she needs to find is an Electro-cardio-physiologist.
When I was pregnant, the condition worsen, which the MD attributed to increased stress, hormone effects, and also it worsens with age. I was seen at the ER 22 times during my third pregnancy, but the baby turned out fine. I had to fight the MDs to keep from being treated high risk--I had a very peaceful feeling (inner sense if you will)  that the baby was ok and I refused to be turned into a guinea pig for medical research. At one point, I told the MD to walk back out into the hall, take a deep breathe, and don't come back inside until he was calm enough to hear what I was saying! During my second pregnancy I was treated with a couple of different meds but they didn't work. I didn't take them while nursing, deciding instead to just treat each episode when it happened. It got better after pregnancy, and I was only seen at the ER 3 times while bfing. All 3 times, I was told not to BF for 24 hrs after receivng the IV ( usually a beta blocker) but I told the ER Docs that not nursi!
ng was not an option and after much discussion ( once they even called my husband out into the hall to try to get him to convince me to not BF, to which he replied "you think I can tell her anything? She's the bfing expert!") they gave me the meds and told me I was assuming responsibility for my baby ( DUH). I never saw any effect on the baby.
Good luck-feel free to contact me if you want more info.

Barbara Whitehead, IBCLC
Eastern NC

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2