Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:15:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Lena,

A quick reference is taken from The chapter on The Biological Specificity of Breastmilk from Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by
Riordan/Auerbach.  The average gastric half-emptying time for breastmilk is 48 minutes, and for infant formula, 78 minues (Cavell, 1981)
Human milk contains about 10 percent solids for energy and growth; the rest is water, which is vital for maintaining hydration.
Caloric content, or energy density, energy intake,  volumes, storage capacity, maturational changes are all covered in this chapter. Hope this
helps.  Just trying to get you started in case you already have the book.  If not I can check a little further for you and will pull out some others.

This bad info reminds me of the mother I helped two weeks ago.  Three week old was vomiting immediately after feeds and then was hungry
again. And fussy most of the time.  Mom took him to the doctor who said it sounds like GER so told her to mix cereal with her breastmilk and
feed 4 ounces every 4 hours, by bottle.
So, she started pumping every 4 hours that day and noticed how quickly her supply was dwindling, picked up the phone and called doc again,
(after hours) the doctor who called back said that if she was concerned with supply to go to the store and pick up some Carnation Good Start and
call back on Monday.  This didn't feel right to her so I got the call at 10:00 that night, "isn't cereal at 3 weeks too early?, why should I use
formula?, etc..."

A little basic questioning brought out a possible abundant supply and way too long between feeds.  She was bouncing, rocking, walking, giving
pacifier until baby just wouldn't quiet and was screaming and then would try feeding (aack) she didn't understand polite requests, thought she had
to wait for crying. And she was proud that at night he could sleep from 9:30 until 4, 5 or 6 before he cried so much that she had to get up to feed
him. Her bed gets soaked from letdowns but that didn't clue her in to needing to feed her baby.  Of course he is ravenous each time he eats and
gulps so much milk that it all comes back up.  (Said she nurses in the morning, puts him back in the crib and he throws up almost immediately.)

I suggested trying small frequent feeds and answering his little grunts and movements and to hold and snuggle upright for a while before putting
him back down, enjoy him for a while, for a few days just to see if that is the only problem.

Two days later she said he eats about every 2 hours and every 3 at night and hasn't thrown up since.

Now why couldn't the doctor do a little trouble shooting and basic breastfeeding guidelines to help this dyad before suggesting cereal and
formula?

Good Luck,

Cheryl Marian

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2