Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2014 23:41:22 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
To all of you with experience using a supplementing feeding system at the breast, I am wondering what you have had the most success with.  Do you use a commercially made SNS or do you prefer to use something you put together yourself for families?  How do you construct a supplemental feeder if you make something "improvised"?  I realize that this may be different with short term vs long term use, but I am particularly interested in hearing what you've found easiest for families to stick with and have success with to help feed and keep babies at breast, especially early in the feeding relationship.  It feels that we are seeing more need for this recently, and want to make sure I am doing what is best to be helpful to our patients and families.  

I am typically using an infant/preemie feeding tube and a syringe, and have read on Dr. Jack Newman's SNS bottle with tubing but never tried that method.  I have not personally had any moms using commercially made SNS systems.  I want to make sure that I am instructing families on correct use of these systems, so any specific details you can share would be great, and if there is any professional literature on this or study articles on the use of SNS systems particularly, I would appreciate that info.  

Thanks so much in advance for your expertise.

Jennifer Moskal Trowbridge, MSN, RN, CPNP, CLC
Chicopee, Massachusetts, USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2